Wednesday, March 16, 2005

What Not to Do

While watching my morning productive time slip by, I visited one of my favorite sites, the Journal of Improbable Research, where I came across their delightful listing of Prohibitions Competitions.

One of my favorites was this entry from a Bombay Restaurant
Prohibitions are obviously things you SHOULD NOT DO, in case you didn't know.

I happen to own a lovely little volume entitled simply, Don't, a Little Book of Early American Gentility. My copy is a reprint dated 1968, so I don't know the original publication date but judging by the entries, it's been awhile evidenced by this first entry:
"Don't, as an invited guest, be late for dinner. This is a wrong to your host, to other guests and to the dinner."
We wouldn't want to do a wrong to the dinner, now would we?

One more before I go: "Don't expectorate on the sidewalk but go to the curbstone to discharge excess saliva. Men who eject great streams of tobacco-juice on the sidewalk or on the floors of public vehicles ought to be driven from civilized society." Amen, to that.

I'll post more Don't-isms as I find time. ;-) Probably when I should be doing other work, undoubtedly.

No comments: