Friday, March 04, 2005

Can You See Why I get Nothing Done?

Here's why I never get anything done. Today I'm ready to get some REAL WORK done, and here's what's presently open in my browser:

1. PingOMatic.com wildly handy for when I submit new entries to my blog The Slimming Pool and Daytrader's Bulletin Pre-opening Commentary. I haven't wanted to close that window for fear I'll forget all about it. I really need some type of software which has my daily links, etc. but I'll spend a hundred hours searching for software so let's leave that for another day. That gives me an idea: I'll create blog pages for my various interests! Category: RSS Blogs XML

2. Ditto, One Techie's Love-hate Relationship with Technology. I'd say it's more love. This is the type blog I can spend hours reading, so naturally I link to it and then occasionally return to find some new area of interest. Category: Places to Waste More Time or Gadgets Gallore I have a million entries in this category and might some day find time to post them all, but I doubt it.

3. Affiliates article I started to read but was distracted elsewhere and now I don't want to close the page: Category: Affiliate & Marketing

4. RingTones. This looked promising, maybe for the kids to start a site and earn their way through college? You never know. Category: Ideas to Make a Million Bucks Before I'm Dead

5. Miscellanious marketing hype. I spend hours reading marketing pages, really, literally hours. I read them, I print them, I think I'll go study them to see why I want to buy what they are selling, but I never do. It's a sickness. Really.

6. Any RSS. This is way cool and I just came across it today. It gives you the ability to create news feeds on your site using RSS. Category RSS Blogs XML (I really need a catchy name for this category).

7. NewsGator. More RSS stuff. Once I have a central repository for these things, this won't get so out of hand. Really. It's true. I'll be much better organized and life will be swell. Category: RSS, et al

8. Wiki Application List. Yahoo has created a nifty API which developer types can use to do all sorts of fun stuff with their massive database. Google started this trend and it's a good one, so hear, hear. I'm not smart enough to know how it works but I can certainly take code and alter it for my own use, so this is a handy link to keep. I'll file it in Category: RSS ATOM XML BLOG

9. The Human Search Engine. Contrary to it's tag line it doesn't search for humans but rather is a search engine by and for humans. Get it? Sort of like DMOZ but without the multi-year wait to get listed. I'm not yet participating because I ran into trouble getting the Spurl link to operate in my Firefox browser. Don't know what's the problem, so I have to file it in my "Do Later" list where there are baout a thousand other things waiting. Sort of like a DMOZ editor's life I suppose. Hummmmmm
Category: RSS, etc.

10. Spurl Set Up Page which I never mastered but I will, I promise. Category: More RSS (popular category for me this morning I see).

Are you starting to see why I get nothing done? I'm up to over 10 windows open with stuff I either want to research further or spend some time with, and frankly, I have other things I wanted to get done today. I need a 48 hour day!

11. Del.Icio.Us Another blogging utility, or rss reader, or whatever is the best catch phrase. If you don't know much about RSS readers join the club. Sheesh, having a central place to keep these links would be OH SO handy! Category: Blog Hell

12. Now I'm finding some duplicates and some Google search pages so I won't bother to list all those. It just gets boring about now.

13. Oops, I spoke too soon. I followed a link to DayPop.com which is an information junkies paradise. Category: News? or RSS? Is this a sickness? Please tell me I'm going to be all right...

The task I intended to perform was not related to any window opened above, thereby, I'm so totally "off task" as they say in middle school. Focus, Kathryn, just focus.

1 comment:

OneMoreBite-Weightloss said...

I'm posting a comment on my own blog, just to see how it's done. I'm not big on leaving comments since my initial thoughts tend toward snipy, half-baked remarks that would tend to create more enemies than friends, and we don't want that. I learned early on, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." So, thanks to Mom, I keep my mouth shut quit a lot.

I notice I haven't yet posted those categories but do not despair, I saved the info. Oh, yeah, I've got it right here along with about a million other bits of information just waiting to be categorized one day.